365 Days of Justice

Today, all those lies and malicious slanders have been put to rest, and the truth has triumphed. The mentors and disciples of Soka have won. Today across the globe, the Soka Gakkai and its first three presidents are highly praised and regarded as shining lights of hope for all humanity.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Siddhartha

I just come back after watching the local production of the Siddhartha, the Musical. I have heard remarks made on this musical before, goods and bads.

After watching the musical, I have no doubt about the great Wisdom of a Buddha. However, it also gives me the feeling that Siddhartha did not care about the feelings of his parents and wife when he decided to leave his palace and seek the Way. The only thing he cared was to find the source of the sufferings the other people are facing. Can we say he actually 'sellfishly' abandon his responsibility as a piety son and responsible husband to pursuit his self-interest of finding the Way? Someone may call this sacrificing the smaller goods for the greater goods; but I think it should be more aptly said this greater goods intention was developed later, along the way he was seeking his Enlightenment. He has gone through his share of Human Revolution too! And I think this is the true enlightenment!

There were a few scenes and Buddhist principles being related in the musical, and I find it a bit mythical. However, if I were to look at it as the musical is portraying the inner realms of ones life, everything makes so much sense.

I think the character Devadatta can be developed further. I think it is important we recognize there is always the battle between the Buddha & the Devadatta in every moment in our lives.

Last but not least, the musical missed out Lotus Sutra entirely which is the whole point of Buddha's intention in this life!

No comments: